Day 15, July 17: Greenville to Washington
Waffle House, again? Yep. Waffle House is good.
The last day was, predictably, a day of drudgery and traffic and "Get the hell out of my way!"
Aside from the obvious reason, it was notable for a great food find at lunchtime. We were determined to have barbecue, and at Exit 191 on I-85, doggone it, we found it.
Bob's Bar-B-Q, in the Creedmore-Butner, N.C., metroplex, was just what we wanted. Friendly people and good food in a place with enough obviously local people to be authentic but enough cleanliness and spaciousness not to be scary. We had the sandwiches -- pulled pork North Carolina style, with a vinegar-cayenne sauce. Slaw on top for me, not for Jacqueline. Not my favorite style of barbecue, but pretty darn good.
Even better was the Brunswick stew. A hard dish to describe -- think of a slightly spicy of the best bean-with-bacon soup you've ever had, only with baby limas instead of navy beans and some sort of barbecued meat instead of bacon. Authentic versions use squirrel, I understand, but I think this was pork or chicken. Whatever it was, it was great. The sandwich was filling enough that I couldn't make much of a dent in the "small" portion, though, so I got a lid for the foam container and tossed it in the cooler.
Right outside Washington, we hit rain, and the coincident traffic. We hadn't seen rain since very early in the trip, so we couldn't complain too much.
The house was still there. Only one newspaper out front, but our hold-mail order didn't work, so we had a little trouble opening the door. But we were grateful to have the mail.
That's about it. Two weeks, 5,339 miles, many tanks of expensive gas. It was great.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home