Saturday, July 17, 2004

Day 13, July 15: Biloxi

Well, as it turned out, she hadn't lost. I learned the next morning that Jacqueline had hit a bonus four-of-a-kind on double-bonus video poker for $400 or so. That cemented it: We had to stay another day. Jacqueline made the arrangements, but our deluxe suite was no longer available. Movin' on down! The regular old losers' room wouldn't be available right away, so we headed down for breakfast. The line for the buffet was intimidating enough to send us out into the swelter and across the street to Waffle House.
 
To be honest, it doesn't take much to get us to Waffle House.   We were able to change rooms not long after breakfast. Nice standard room, about the same as the Bellagio standard room, but no more Jacuzzi tub, no more VIPs-only elevator, etc.  
 
The rest of the gambling at Beau Rivage is a bit of a blur. Suffice it to say we didn't come out ahead. Some ups but more downs at video poker. Some nice blackjack sessions, but not enough to offset the rest.  
 
While Jacqueline was doing battle with the machines, I decided to check out the beach. In Biloxi, it seems, the Gulf coast is not so much a destination as a part of the landscape. I had to walk under a series of freeway overpasses (crouching, in some cases) to get to a usable part of the beach. Lots of trash, quite a few visible jellyfish, one homeless guy. I finally got to a spot that people were actually using. There weren't many people, though, and I couldn't shake the image of those jellyfish. The cell phone rang as I was heading back. Jacqueline was done gambling, for now.  
 
I was already in swimming mode, so we decided to try the pool. It was more crowded and less atmospheric than at night, but it was nice.  
 
Beau Rivage has a great selection of restaurants, but the hours of operation leave something to be desired. For a late lunch, there were few choices. We wanted just a little something, to leave room for a good meal at one of those restaurants, so we headed to the snack bar. What caught our collective eye there was ... cheesecake. Pretty good cheesecake, but lousy coffee. (And such small portions!)  
 
There was more gambling. (See above.)  
 
Dinner was at Memphis Q, a barbecue-joint-and-steakhouse sort of affiliated with the adjoining brewpub. I tried the beer sampler, which included three amazing selections, one just-fine selection and one outright dud. When in Biloxi, avoid the "amber."  
 
I insisted on checking out the Thursday-night-only tiki-style nightclub at the pool. We were actually allowed in! We made one lap of the area and got back into the air conditioning.  
 
There was more gambling. (See above.)  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home